Breastfeeding Resource Center (BRC)
1355 Old York Road, Suite 101
Abington, PA 19001
The BRC is a nonprofit corporation committed to providing expert clinical and educational breastfeeding services.
HOW DOES THE BRC SUPPORT ITS MISSION STATEMENT:
* provides face to face consultations at the outpatient setting on a sliding scale of payment to make it affordable for all families.
* has developed a wide variety of consultations to meet the different needs of different mothers.
* offers $10 weight checks
* provides free support group meetings to allow mothers the peer support they need to conitnue breastfeeding.
* provides low cost classes for new families
* can develop and implement an inpatient lactation program at a hospital or birth center
* provides Lunch and Learn educational sessions for healthcare professionals working with breastfeeding mothers
WHY IS THE BRC HERE?
In the 50s, formula feeding became the norm. Families assumed that infant formula was an equal alternative to breastmilk. We now know that to be untrue. Research has proven time and again that breastfeeding provides nutrition far superior to formula and protects both the baby and the mother from a host of diseases (AAP 2005). Before formula, mothers turned to their sisters, mothers, grandmothers, and friends for help. Unfortunately, over the years, we’ve lost the “art” of breastfeeding and at times, it’s helpful to work with a professional when trouble arises.