If you have ever thought to yourself, “I’d love to donate my breastmilk, but how exactly do I make a donation?” the Breastfeeding Resource can answer all your questions!
We are really excited to be an official donation collection site for the Mid-Atlantic Mothers’ Milk Bank, a non-profit milk bank that is part of the Human Milk Banking Association of North America. Oh, they’re just the leading experts in human milk banking… for over 30 years!
Yes, they are kind of a big deal. And donating milk is a big deal too. We all know babies can benefit a great deal from human milk. According to the Mid-Atlantic Mothers’ Milk Bank, that’s even more so the case for medically vulnerable infants. It is critical and it can be life-saving! When a mother’s own milk isn’t available, the next best option is pasteurized milk from carefully screened donors. And that’s what Mothers’ Milk bank is dedicated to: providing safe human milk to all babies in need.
Because of this new status for the BRC, once you qualify as a donor, you can drop off your milk at our Abington or King of Prussia centers. Easy peasy! So, here’s the scoop on becoming a donor:
Nurses or lactation consultants from Mid-Atlantic Mothers Milk Bank serve as screening personnel for the organization and their goal is to make the process as convenient as possible for you. Here are the steps you will follow to become a donor:
- Complete an application packet – This next step covers a lot of similar topics in the phone interview. This can be done via online or mail.
- Complete a 15 minute phone interview – This phone interview covers general health questions, medication use, etc.
- Receive statements of health from your healthcare provider – Mid-Atlantic Mothers’ Milk Bank will contact your healthcare provider and your baby’s doctor (with your permission of course) for statements of health and ability to donate.
- Get some bloodwork – Once all those initial steps are taken, eligible donors are asked to complete this step – which is identical to testing done by blood banks. There are several options available to ensure you can have this done close to home.
- Once approved, donors can drop off frozen milk to the BRC (Abington or KOP location). Additional testing will be completed on the milk (note: sometimes milk can be deemed ineligible after testing)
While there are quite a few steps before approval, it’s an AMAZING gift to be able to give your milk to another baby, another family, in need.
For more information on the screening process or if you could be an eligible donor, feel free to contact us or visit:
Mid-Atlantic Mothers’ Milk Bank – Donate (https://midatlanticmilkbank.org/donate/)
P.S. Feeling generous? Our HELLENDALL CHALLENGE is on for December!
We will receive a matching gift up to $5,000 if we raise $5,000 in December! Support the BRC and potentially double your gift today!